Sunday, February 17, 2008

Weekend Warrior

As the big day gets closer, I've tried to create multiple activity days for myself that will hopefully increase my tolerance for suffering. These are had to pull off during the week, but the weekends have been filled with a few nice mini adventures. I think it's working. Some notes can be found below.

2/5
I think I did some yoga, but can't really remember

I’ve been hanging out at coffee shops a lot lately (yeah, I’m back on the espresso con pannas), and the pastry selections have been less than inspiring. I love “hippie pastries”. You know, whole grain stuff with good oils etc. So I decided to take the matter into my own hands and created some awesome whole grain all butter Scottish Oat Scones. Yes.
2/6
Restorative poses
Bouldered at the Brickyard. Finally did Lonesome pine (V6) along with an assortment of other moderate classics. Every once in a while I get some perks out of my writing gig. Tonight was one of those. Tre Anelli, a new winery in the valley invited me to their industry party where I was treated to large amounts of wine (1.5 bottles worth?) and some great appetizers.

2/7
1 mile in the pool
-600 freestyle
-4x50 dolphin kick
-2x100 freestyle breathing every 5 strokes
-300 breaststroke
-300 free with leg float

2/8
On Bob's suggestion I decided to check out the boulders at Red Rock for possible Birthday Challenge usage. I hadn't been to Red Rock in a while so it sounded like fun. Of course it was going to be somewhat epic getting to the boulders. The road to red rock was closed due to flooding etc so Bridget and I mounted our bikes, which neither of us had been on in years.

Luckily we both remembered how to work the simple mechanism known as the bicycle and made it through the 7 river crossings ( including the final one which was deep enough to require ditching the bikes and egg beatering across holding our gear above our heads) injury free. I highly recommend everyone try riding a bike with a boulder pad on at least once in their life. Red Rock was beautiful and because the approach required effort, we were alone the entire day except for a brief encounter with two other people. Good stuff. I bouldered a bunch of easy stuff and worked the moves of Seven Year Plan (V7). Bridget made me proud and traversed all the way in and out of the Bro Den even though her instincts told her to swim it instead.




After a cold cold cold ride back to the car we had dinner at Mattei's Tavern in Los Olivos. To be honest, this place is way overpriced, but the food is good, and the crowd is great. I had the buffalo sirloin and a full blown hamstring cramp which created a bit of a scene. "Are you all right sir?" I hear as a squirmed across the floor praying that I might pass out to escape the pain and embarrassment I was experiencing.
2/9
75 min yoga including a 15 minute headstand while being hosed down by Brian. The crux was by far the water that was flowing up my nose. Thanks guys.

Feeling stoked on my bike, I got on with my climbing shoes in tote and rode from my house to Westmont where I bouldered all the up problems on the boulder except for one (that crimpy thing to the left of the hueco on the back side). As the sun started to go down, I realized I was in no condition to ride home, so I coasted over to Bridget's house and acted pathetic enough to earn a ride home in the car. To thank her for her efforts I created a new dish: Butter Chicken and Cauliflower Curry with Pasilla mango chutney. This dish was so good and easy to prepare that I will probably be serving it for the cooking part of my challenge.

2/10
Climbing at Lizards Mouth with Andy, Mary and co.
Good times bouldering with good friends.
Highlights included:
-Andy's awesome style.
-Mary sending Shaken like a tornad0 (v6) not once but twice.
-Andy showing me some great new problems.
-La Super rica and Modelos at the end of the day.
2/11
Neighborhood Walk, Restorative Poses
Tried to swim a 1600 in the pool without stopping. Had to stop at 1200 because I had a splitting headache (probably because my goggles suck. I'm working it out as we speak). Cooled down with a 200 of kickboard.

2/12
Sun Salutations, Restorative Poses
Bouldering at Lizards Mouth. I spent the afternoon mapping out my circuit in the Top of the World, MA area. There is actually a lot of climbable rock in this area including some very nice moderate and sometimes a bit scary problems.

2/13
90 minutes of yoga including headstand variations.

40 problems at Painted Cave.
Hike up Hot Springs trail with Bridget, Blake and Bosco. For those of you that have never done this, you are missing out. You may not believe me when you first arrive at the less than inspiring looking pools, but with the help of a large tarp and the company of some good friends, good times are more or less guaranteed.
-1 hour of hiking
-2.5 hours of soaking
-1 bottle of wine

2/14
Restorative Postures

Valentine's Day
-2 hours finding and "decorating" Bridget's car
-2 hours preparing/serving Pasta Puttanesca for the two of us.
-1.5 bottles of wine-1 large bar of Chilean Chocolate
-Other Activities

2/15
Sun Salutations
1 mile in the pool
-2 x400 freestyle
-4oo breaststroke
-300 freestyle with leg float
-6x15 free dives with 3 breaths in between
-3x25 free dives with 9 breaths in between
-50 meter free dive!

Zen Yai plus 6 beers out and about.

2/16
Sun Salutations
Went climbing at Mr. Lees. The day started off well. Shortly after arriving at the crag, I realized that in true genius style I forgot my harness. Phil was totally stoked of course. Luckily we were able to warm up on White Lotus belaying from the bolt at the bottom of the route. After a few goes Chris arrived (with his harness like a normal climber), and saved me from the certain death that Phil was surely planning on treating me to. In further "normal" style, Chris belayed me on my red point of White Lotus (11d) using a harness made from the rope we were climbing with. He must have foreseen my success, because catching a lead fall on the harness he fashioned out of Phil's "brand new" rope could not only possibly turn him into a castrato, but may have allowed me a the chance to test out my chute less base jumping skills. You’re a good man Chris. Later in the day I got on Drunken Master (12.d) and found may what up the damn thing doing all but one move. There were two harnesses involved in this ascent. I know. Boring.

Other highlights of the day included
-Phil and Chris creating the new and superb true finish to Wild Kingdom
-Steve (Also known as Wolverine) redpointing Hard Boiled (13.b) in style
-D. kicking ass on Wild Kingdom (13.a)
-Woofie (Chris's dog) not trying to kill me

2/17
9o minutes of yoga including 10 minute headstand

No comments: