Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas

This is the first of many posts that will chronical my training and life during the final days before my 27th Birthday Challenge.

In homage to the true gentleman and warriors of my past; men who opened my eyes to another way, a passionate and authentic approach to the world, with little concern for the concept of “the right way”; I announce my forthcoming 27th Birthday Challenge.

On March 4th 2008, in 27 hours or less, I will attempt to…

Climb 270 boulder problems

Swim 2700 meters

Hike barefoot 2.7 miles.

Perform a 27 minute headstand.

Complete one three breath cycle of pranayama with 27 sec holds between inhale and exhale.

Prepare and serve a proper meal for 27 people

Drink 2.7 bottles of wine.

(Oh, I reserve the right to alter this challenge up until one month prior to my birthday...yeah, call me what you will, but it's my challenge and I'll do it how I want to)


12/24/07
1 hour of yoga plus a 13 minute headstand.
I've slowly been increasing the length of my headstand over the past month from 5 minutes to this new high. Things really start to get interesting after 10 minutes... My shoulders burn (like a 7 or 8 on the intensity scale), but I feel as if I can maintain the headstand as long as I am willing to put up with the burn, boredom, focus etc. required to keep myself balanced properly. I feel like the crux of my training is going to be learning to relax into this anxiety.

800 meters in the pool
Swimming, like the headstand, is an exercise in relaxation rather than effort. More often than not I find myself srtuggling not to struggle in the pool. Today was a struggling day, but I completed my goal distance in a fairly short time (just under 20 minutes).

My shoulders were tired. I figured a homemade meal was deserved. Wild Mushroom Trout Rolls with Mandarin Braised Cabbage was the end product. Pretty good except I under seasoned the wild mushrooms. Either way, pretty nice for dinner alone on a Monday.

12/25/07

I love being a Jew on Christmas.... Much more freedom than other legal holidays, I have absolutly no obligations. The only bummer is that almost eveyone else I know spends the day with their own families, more often than not leaving me alone to engage solo adventures of my choice.

Well, except for Bob Banks.... This fine gentlemen and I have spent many a Christmas day bouldering. On a whim I got in touch with him this year. Somehow the stars aligned and we met up at Lizards Mouth for a quick late afternoon boulder sesh. All in all, I'd say we had a good time, especially considering the fact that it had to be under 45 degrees. We climbed some classics and explored some new projects in the area. Most of our time was spent on the so called Gangster Hippie (I can't stand the name of this problem). I made it to my usual high point and Bob almost pulled off the scary/physical/humbling/8 ft high mantle. Nice work old man. I'm just stoked that he enjoyed the problem enough that he might come back again and give me some more spots. My fingers are crossed.

Dinner at the parents house afterward. Ate some good grub and drank at least a bottle of wine.

Not really a great training day, but bouldering with an old buddy is always a treat that I'm happy to indulge in, and a free meal with the family is joy of some of the highest caliber.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: